What’ll it Cost to move to Cypress
Moving Costs – 4 FAQs
When you’re getting your home ready for a move, you may be thinking about hiring a professional moving company to do most of the work. This can save you tons of time, but you may be wondering how affordable it is. Many of the most frequently asked questions from moving companies involve moving costs. Here are four that we hear often:
1.How much does it cost?
Lots of people just want to know the bottom line first: how much will the move cost? The problem is that moving costs are so dependent on so many factors that it’s almost impossible to give an accurate estimate online.
The main problem here is that moving costs aren’t mainly about the distance of your move, as some people might think. The cost of your move is actually mainly about how much stuff you have to move – specifically how much your stuff weighs. There are other factors, of course, but this is the most important one.
So the only way to get a solid estimate for your move, even from the best Cypress movers, is with an in-home estimate. You’ll need a representative from the moving company to come to your home, go through everything with you, and offer a detailed, written estimate based on that home visit.
2. Will I pay more than the estimate?
Another major worry of moving customers is whether or not the company will stick to that original estimate. Reputable movers will attempt to get a detailed estimate, and to stick by that. But the best way to be sure that you won’t pay wildly more than your estimated costs is with a binding estimate.
This is basically a contract where you agree to the price, and the moving company agrees to stick to it. Sometimes the estimate will include a contingency fee to cover potential unforeseen costs. But even then, you have a ceiling for your final price, which is great.
3. How much extra is packing?
It’s possible to hire a moving company but still do all your packing. In fact, many people choose this option as a way to save money. But it’s a good idea to at least know how much packing costs. And it’s similar to the move costs – it depends on how much stuff you have.
If you’re at all interested in packing services, let the in-home estimator know. They can then write the cost of these services into your estimate, and you can decide whether or not to use them.
4. How can I save?
If you don’t have a huge budget or a company relocation package, you may be wondering what you can do to save on your move. Luckily, you’ve got a few options, including:
- Custom packing. Maybe you want to save on packing easy stuff, like your clothes and books. The best Cypress moving company will allow you to choose what the movers pack and what you pack. You can pay for custom services for more difficult rooms or items – like your kitchen or your electronics – and then save by packing the rest yourself.
- Downsizing. Before you move, make a point to go through all your things and to get rid of what you no longer use or need. You’ll be surprised at how much unnecessary stuff you’ve gathered over the years! Tossing these things now – rather than when you’re unpacking in your new home – saves you on moving costs.
- Be flexible. If you can, be flexible with date and time for your move. Movers may offer you a discount if you move on a less-popular day or at a less busy time of the month. This may not always be the case, but it’s worth asking about.
- Ask about insurance. Before the move, ask about what insurance your moving company offers. Often times, they will offer some limited amount of insurance if their people break or damage items. But you may want to ask about better insurance for your more expensive items. It’s an up-front cost that could wind up saving you a fortune in the long run.
As you prepare for your move, these are all great questions that you’re probably already asking yourself. The best way to get answers is to call the best Cypress movers to schedule an in-home estimate before moving day.